At the request of the people of Hegdorn, Bishop Adrian von Riedmatten gave permission on 8 April 1683 to build a chapel in honour of "Jesus, Mary and Joseph" in Hegdorn. Weibel Georg Albert acted on behalf of the people of Hegdorn. According to some older visitation records, the chapel was built in honour of the Holy Family, as the depiction of the Holy Family on the altar indicates. In 1921, the name St. Joseph's Chapel appears in the records for the first time. This name was subsequently adopted by the people.
The chapel was last renovated between 1970 and 1975 under the direction of Karl Gertschen, Naters. A lot of hard work was done by the men's association.