Building and naming
It was built around 1250 by the de Augusta family from the Aosta Valley. The family held the so-called Viztum, the highest secular deputy of the bishop. From the inheritance, the tower subsequently passed to the Lords of Ornavasso. In the 16th century, the building was used by the Zenden as an armoury.
The following episode may seem legendary and unreal, but it is a verifiable fact: The tower was to be demolished in 1877 and the stone material used for other buildings. Defiant farmers from the Natischerberg came to the rescue with scythes and forks and prevented the demolition with all their might.
At the turn of the century, the tower - now owned by the burghers - was converted into a schoolhouse and in 1930 the east extension was added.