History of originsThe seventh and youngest child of Moritz Schurwey from Leukerbad was blind. It was then that Schurwey's attention was drawn to the picture mentioned. Trusting in this picture, Moritz Schurwey promised that he would have a house of prayer built in honour of the Blessed Mother if his son Ernst regained his sight. And indeed, Ernst was able to see again after six months, so that he was able to learn to read and write, albeit with difficulty.
Father Moritz fulfilled his vow and had the present-day "Maria Hilf" oratory built in 1891. That is why older people still call this place "Schurwey Chapel".