The lime tree of Naters is mentioned in a document as early as 1357 and was already described as "magnam" (large) by the scribe at the time. However, courts were also held under the over 600-year-old Naters lime tree. Next to the tree, which is hollow inside, was the medieval pillory for punishing offenders. the base of a former pillory column is still visible, to which the condemned were fastened with iron bands and put on display at that time.
Public and private matters were heard under it. The small wall around the trunk of the lime tree may have served as a podium in the past. Right next to the magnificent tree is the old and beautiful vicarage.