Blatten was first mentioned in 1231 as Platon. The village lies at an altitude of 1'327 m above sea level and is a hamlet of the municipality of Naters. Naters is the municipality with the greatest difference in altitude in Switzerland and extends from 673 m above sea level to 4'195 m above sea level.
In the course of the 15th century, the municipalities and districts of the Natischerberg merged to form the Gumperschaft (municipality) of Rischinen. This comprised the hamlets above the Hegdorn water conduit. Since these small hamlets formed a separate municipality, it can be assumed that they were inhabited all year round.
Rischinen was the political and Blatten the ecclesiastical centre of the Gumperschaft. At the beginning of the 17th century, the Gumperschaften Naters and Rischinen merged.
Group of houses with well
A typical place in old Blatten is the group of houses on Kapellenweg. These houses were built in the 17th century from larch wood.
The Theoduls Chapel was first mentioned in 1480 and Blatten became the ecclesiastical centre of the Natischerberg. In the mid-17th century, the chapel, which had formerly been aligned north-south, was turned to the east (like all Catholic churches and chapels, in fact) and enlarged.
The chaplain's house, which also stands on the picturesque Chapels Square, was built in the mid-17th century. It was built in the middle of the 17th century by Chaplain Berchtold and donated to the chaplaincy of Naters.
In the past, grain was planted throughout the Natischerberg, mostly rye. The Bakehouse Wichje in Blatten was built at the beginning of the 20th century and was used actively until the 1950s. Due to social and technical developments, demand decreased drastically and operations were discontinued. In 1989, the community bought a bakehouse and founded the cooperative "Bachhüs Wichje". Guided tours and baking days are offered for those interested.
Largest granary in Blatten
The largest granary in Blatten is in the "Ännerblatt". The granaries served as storage rooms and were built on pillars with round slabs so that the supplies were not eaten by vermin.