The exhibition in the rock
The military fortress was built in 1939 - 1940 and has been modernised time and again to this day. At that time, its cannons protected the strategically important Simplon Pass as well as the Simplon railway tunnel.
Place for up to 200 men
The fortress, with all its facilities from the kitchen to the detention room, was like a small underground village that could accommodate a maximum of 200 men. Until 2002, the fortress was considered top secret. Today, the exhibition about the Swiss Guardsmen can be seen in the former ammunition chambers.
Second hall still stands in its original state
In the second hall, there are endless rows of concrete racks where the cannons used to be stored. Today, they contain personal items that guardsmen and their families gave to the Gardemuseum.
No Swiss municipality has provided more guardsmen over the centuries than the Valais village of Naters.With the newly introduced guest card, admission to the Gardemuseum free.
Further information now available at www.zentrumgarde.ch or www.caverna-naters.ch .