Mund was first mentioned in writing in 1259 and was part of the parish in Naters. At that time, Mund was part of the County of Valais, which had belonged to the Bishop of Sion since 999. Mund had been part of the Zehnden Naters since 1355. However, its independent status from the nobility was not recognised until 1420.
In 1427, the municipality of Mund came into being through the redemption of the Lords of Raron, who had obtained dominion over Mund through marriage. The Zehndenstadel, which today houses the Saffron Museum, also dates from this time.
Since 2013, Mund has belonged to the municipality of Naters, which has a total of 10,324 inhabitants (as of August 2020).
The saffron village has a lot to offer. The precious spice of saffron, the precious "Crocus sativus", grows on an area of about 18'000 square metres on the beautiful and sunny high plateau. Between 30 and 1'000 flowers are harvested daily during the season in October and November. The spice is extracted from the pistils of their flowers. Every year, the saffron guild in Munder produces between one and four kilos of saffron by hand. So it's no wonder that everyone is clamouring for the "red gold" from the mouth.