The Way of the Cross starts at the cemetery in Naters and winds its way up the slope to the "Maria Hilf" prayer house. The little houses have slate roofs and the neo-Gothic mannequins depict the path of Jesus in 14 stations, from his condemnation by Pontius Pilate to his crucifixion and entombment.
The creation of the Stations of the Cross is closely linked to the restoration of the parish church in 1977-1980. The monument preservation authorities ordered the removal of the neo-Gothic Stations of the Cross from 1898, which had been installed in the parish church.
As many faithful did not agree with this, the idea matured to place it from the cemetery up to the house of prayer. Under the direction of the parish council, the Stations of the Cross were erected in 1982 and 1983 with hard labour. A total of 240 volunteers put in about 10,000 hours of unpaid work.
The short circular walk also leads through the old village of Naters with its numerous historic buildings and squares.